At this stage of the year we start aging the room, making changes to reflect the fact the children have all grown older and gained new skills. This is especially important in the preschool room getting the children ready to go to school. The flying start program is one example of what we do but it applies to day to day activities as well including their food. We would like to encourage parents to start sending food that they plan to send next year to school. This particularly applies to the packaging of food. Start sending more challenging foods and packaging so your child learns how to open this now with the support and help of our staff. This will help them gain independence in this area in time for school.
At Little Miracles we believe in the importance of nutrition and request that healthy food is provided for the children. Research has shown that instilling healthy eating habits in children can go a long way towards good health throughout life. Below are some ideas for the healthy lunchbox that are quick, easy and healthy!
- Savoury muffins, adding grated vegetables and cheese to your favourite muffin recipe (instead of the fruit and sugar) makes a totally different snack. Most can be made in bulk and freeze well to just be popped in the lunchbox each morning.
- Pizza rolls using Lebanese bread
- Breakfast cookies or healthy muesli bars can be a nutritious treat – just choose ones low in fat using banana for example as the binding agent. One easy example is , 3 mashed bananas (ripe), 1/3 cup apple sauce, 2 cups of oats, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit), 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon. Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes. You can add whatever you like, just remember, no nuts at Little Miracles please!
- Traffic light dips, red capsicum, carrot and avocado dips make for a fun way to get those veggies in.
- Swap in the wholegrains, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice and wholemeal flour all make healthier alternatives to their white cousins.
What are your children’s favourite healthy foods?
Here are some useful websites for lunch ideas for children.